When considering home renovation projects, the bathroom often gets overlooked behind flashier kitchen overhauls or backyard patios. However, bathroom remodels provide one of the highest returns on investment for homeowners. Not only can a bathroom redesign increase your home’s value, but it can also improve convenience, comfort and aesthetics. We’ll walk through the major benefits of taking on a bathroom remodel.
Boosting Home Value
A bathroom remodel recoups an average of 64% of the project cost when selling your home. For upscale remodels, that return jumps over 70% according to the National Association of Realtors. This makes bathrooms one of the top renovations for boosting resale value.
Even smaller budgets see good value retention. Minor remodels like replacing the toilet, sink and lighting get roughly 90% return on investment. More extensive projects like gutting and expanding see around 52% ROI. Ultimately, the more money put into a bathroom redesign directly correlates with higher home value increase.
Improving Functionality and Storage
Outdated bathrooms often lack sufficient storage, lighting or electrical outlets. New builds and remodels allow incorporating modern bathroom functionality like:
- Additional cabinets, shelves and drawers
- Medicine cabinets with mirrors
- Electrical outlets by mirrors and sinks
- Task lighting, accent lighting and natural light
- Double sinks for shared family baths
- Walk-in showers with built-in seats and grab bars
- High efficiency toilets and touchless faucets
Remodeling lets homeowners customize for specialized needs like aging-in-place, children’s independence or accessibility requirements.
Updating for Safety
Older bathrooms often fall short of current safety standards. Common hazards include:
- Slippery tile without grip strips
- Claw foot tubs without grab bars
- Outdated electrical requiring GFCI outlets
- Poor ventilation leading to mold
- Low wattage lighting or lack of night lights
A remodel provides the perfect opportunity to update for safety with features like:
- Textured, anti-slip flooring
- Grab bars and curbless walk-in showers
- GFCI outlets with required clearance
- Powerful fans and windows to control humidity
- Motion sensor lighting and non-glare fixtures
These improvements help reduce the bathroom’s injury risk for all household members.
Enhancing Comfort and Relaxation
Bathrooms remain one of the most utilized rooms in homes. Remodeling can take basic functionality into a spa-like oasis for relaxation through:
Soaking Tubs and Frameless Showers
- Soaking tub – From air jet tubs to stand-alone models, today’s baths offer customizable options for therapeutic relaxation.
- Frameless glass showers – Open, roomy designs provide a spa-quality shower experience.
High-End Fixtures and Finishes
- Stone, ceramic and glass tiles – Elevate walls and floors from basic subway tile to luxury materials.
- Heated floors – Warm underfoot comfort steps out of the shower.
- Towel warmers – Plush heated bars keep towels perfectly cozy.
Ambiance and Extras
- Sound systems – Set the mood with integrated waterproof audio.
- Chromatherapy lighting – Cycle through colors for a soothing soak.
- Smart home technology – Control features from custom shower settings to voice-activated music.
While not essential, these types of luxury features offer homeowners a private, indulgent escape without leaving home.
Matching Personal Style
Functionality and features aside, bathrooms give homeowners an opportunity to reflect personal tastes through:
Fixtures and Finishes
- Faucets and fixtures in polished metals, oil-rubbed bronze, or matte black
- Natural stone wall and floor tiles like marble and travertine
- Classic white subway tiles or bold patterns and textures
- Custom vanities crafted from reclaimed barnwood to sleek lacquered cabinets
Palettes and Decor
- Cool tones like soothing blues, grays and greens
- Warm neutrals from cream and greige to tan and brown
- Bold punches of color through tiles, paint or accessories
The bath’s relatively small size allows easily swapping styles down the road. But starting with a palette and look homeowners love avoids the need for another remodel just to upgrade aesthetics.
Conclusion: Worthwhile Returns from Bath Remodels
Increasing home value, improving safety and comfort, and customizing to personal tastes makes remodeling well worth the investment. Bathrooms remodels stand out as offering one of the highest payoffs in terms of livability and future sale value.
Careful planning and budgeting ensures keeping costs aligned with the project scale needed to achieve intended benefits. But almost any budget invests wisely since bathrooms recoup a majority of expenses yet elevate home quality daily. As one of the most used and seen rooms, no part of a house better warrants upgrading than the bath.
Contact Pinnacle Building Group for a stunning bathroom remodel!